Wednesday 3 February 2016

Shopping in Jaisalmer

Shoppin in jaisalmer

Mehar had told us on the drive to Jaisalmer that one of the things it was famous for was its silver-work and silver jewellery, and I love silver jewellery! So I determined that a bangle bought here would make a nice souvenir of my trip. There are certainly several shops in which to buy these, so I asked for advice (yes, knowing that his chosen shop would be one that paid him to bring us there, but also knowing that TransIndus guides are under strict instructions not to rip tourists off and only to recommend good places). He suggested that he could take us to a family business in the lower town, run from their home rather than a shop. Here they make and sell a wide range of pieces from the fairly simple, such as the bangles, to elaborate wedding jewellery.

Unfortunately, I forgot to ask for and note the name of the place or its address, but perhaps if you like the sound of this and describe it to a guide, he will also know it. We arrived at the house (which is worth seeing in its own right it is a lovely old property), slipped off our shoes, and descended to the basement which serves as the shop. There were two other customers seated on the low cushions – one was another tourist, an American woman and her daughter picking out presents for friends back home; the other a local woman choosing with great care the jewellery she would wear at her wedding. I asked the man serving us if I could see some bangles and he emptied a large bag on the floor at my feet! He demonstrated the clever design, a speciality here – the bangles are hollow and can be twisted to put on and take off, clicking into place to hold them. I rummaged for a short while until I found a design I liked, and he then helped me unearth it in the correct size. 


 Pieces are sold by weight – my reasonably simple and medium thickness bangle cost about 2,800 IR (just under £30) after a little bit of haggling. I was pleased that there was no “hard sell” here – OK, it was suggested I might like to wear more than one bangle, or buy another for a friend, but neither of these points were pressed when I said no thank you. The service was pleasant and the buying experience more relaxed than in a shop, so I was happy with and with my purchase, which I have worn almost daily ever since!

http://www.priyahotels.com/contact_us.html

No comments:

Post a Comment